Monday, May 21, 2012

A Class with Tim Holtz! Heart and Soul

I had the best morning on Saturday -  I attended a class by Tim Holtz - held at a nearby stamp shop called Absolutely Everything in Topsfield, MA.   There were 4 workshops - but I was only able to get in to one (you had to phone in on a given day and the phones were just wild busy!)  He writes about it here on his blog!

The class I got into was called Heart and Soul -  and we created a wonderful box with a heart inside covered in faux riveted metal.    Basically - I wanted to go to learn new techniques - so it didn't matter which class I got into (although I would have loved to attend them all!)

So we came into this rather large room -  I heard there were 100 people at each class - there were three rows of tables from front to back - this is the center row where I had a seat about 2/3rds of the way down - this was taken about half way into the room.

When I was waiting outside in the line to get in -  I met Heather - who had come all the way from Pittsfield, MA -  it took her 4 hours to get there because of traffic -  she was there for all 4 classes - lucky duck!  So the very first thing we did was to get in line to have Tim sign our Compendium of Curiosities books and the aprons that we were given by Kate the owner of the shop.

Here's Heather, Tim and me.
and here's Tim and me (lot's of pictures were being taken!)
The aprons say "Tim Holtz and I did ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING. seriously, it was very distressing".  Rather tongue in cheek!! Did I say he signed my apron too??  Ya - I guess I did..... and can I just say -  he was just like you see him on his blog or any You tube videos you watch him in - he was funny, friendly and just a nice guy.   He took his time with anyone who wanted autographs or pictures - he walked around during the whole class talking to everyone - being sure they understood what they were doing etc...    And Mario was there too -   here he is helping with something that wasn't working quite right.
So here I am working on my project -  there were people from Canada there, a whole group of ladies who called themselves "Everything Tim" came from Ohio. 
 First we colored the cardboard boxes with Distress Stain inks, I used Silver (these are window boxes with little boxes inside but we took those out) then we inked over them with Distress Inks, I used Forest Moss - then we sanded all the sides to distress - and attached pulleys on the bottom for wheels.
 And just look what we did with puffy paper mache hearts!  We covered them with randomly cut pieces of silver metal foil sticky back sheets.  Then we made marks along the seams - some with the tip of a click it ink pen, some with a push pin and some with a craft scraper.  We made the stitches using loops of thin wire that we just inserted into the holes!  Next we inked the whole thing with 3 colors of Alcohol Inks -I used Pitch Black, Stonewash and Ginger. Isn't this the coolest thing??! Oh - and then we sanded it with steel wool to take most of the color off!
We lined the inside of the box with Terminology tissue wrap

We added Box Corners, sprocket gears, word keys, game spinners, time pieces and a light bulb - and even half of a View Master photo wheel!  He must have gotten those at an antique shop!

Here's Heather with her finished creation - everyone did theirs with slightly different colors and adhering all the 'stuff' in different places which Tim encouraged of course!
 and here's me with mine!

Not the typical kind of craft I usually create -  but I really enjoyed this workshop and my finished 'industrial style assemblage' (as the course description called it!)

Here are a few pics I took at home for a close up view!

 That's a piece of rusty screen across the bottom of the box.

Kent is my husband's name - so that is what I put inside the label pull -  and this will be a memento for our 15th wedding anniversary which is this June -  my word key just happened to say LOVE and the type charm says Lifetime - very appropriate!  And the View Master wheel I got has pics of Hawaii - maybe there's a trip in my future??!!  I think I'll add something with my name on it as well as our wedding date.  You can actually pull this around like a little pull toy circus wagon or something!
So, what do you think??!! 

20 comments:

Annette Allen said...

what a fun weekend...that is just way too cool...

Joan Ervin said...

Looks like a fabulous workshop, Julia....the box is just stunning!!! I love all the hardware and how you added Kent's name....sooo cool!!!!

Kittie said...

Wow! Julia, this is gorgeous! I bet you had a great time in the class and your project is wonderful. There are so many elements and details. I took a class with Tim at a CHA one year and had a great time. It isn't my normal style but I loved every minute of it. Thanks for all the fun pictures.

Judy Rozema said...

Wow! I am so impressed! Looks hard but what fun! Thanks for sharing all the pics!

Charlene Merrick (LilLuvsStampin) said...

Oh, Julia....that is such an awesome, heartfelt and beautiful gift for your husband! How fun to see all your pictures from the workshop, too. Thanks for sharing!!

jdmommy - Anne Harmon said...

This project was just amazing! I'm sure yours was the BEST!! You are so creative, and what a great 15th anniversary present.....one you made yourself that has so much meaning. I would hold out for Hawaii!!! Love you both!!

Juliana said...

AAAAACK! That is just too much FUN!
That looks like such a blast to make and the end result is FABULOUS!

Bev Gerard * TexasGrammy said...

What a delightful story of a terrific & crafty day!! I especially adore the way the "word" elements you had in your kit are so totally appropriate for your anniversary keepsake. (Maybe set out a piece of luggage as a hint?) lol

~Bev

CCC said...

Julia, it looks fabulous. Love the idea to personalize it for your husband.

Jen Cuthbertson said...

What fun, Julia!! I love your project!!

dpkennedy said...

Your creation is fabulous Julia! I really love it and I bet it was fabulous to meet and work with Tim! So glad you had fun!

Sharli Schaitberger said...

OMGSH Julia, I LOVE it!!! It's a project of a lifetime! (ok, I'll stop) but seriously, it's wonderful!!! Kent will appreciate it, too. I know this because he is so supportive of your art. HUGS!!!

Mona Pendleton said...

Julia, look you FABULOUS! LOVE the projects you made! Looks like you had an amazing time! Thanks for sharing all this goodness in one post!

Vicki Dutcher said...

How fun does that sound!! Your project is awesome. Time to update your avatar now - there is some fabulous pictures of you. The one with Tim is wonderful!!

Tim lives here in Phoenix but I have never heard of LOCAL classes -- me thinks he likes to travel :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Julia! Great job with the info on our fabulously fun day! I got to relive it reading the post! Such a memorable time and so happy to have met you. See you in Springfield.

Heather

Deborah Frings said...

You look like you had such a fun time! I'd love to attend a class with Tim. I think the box is brilliant.

Marybeth said...

You lucky duck! How fun! Sure sounds like a great way to spend the weekend. Love your project box! Thanks for sharing all the fun , beautiful photos of you.

wienerhoneymooners said...

WOW!! Amazing!!

Anonymous said...

You are so lucky to have met Tim and Mario, they sound like they are down to earth and always there to give advice when needed. I love your project! Especially the grunge and gears, so vintage looking! Great job!
Christina

nancy littrell said...

I finally clicked on your photo with Tim, Julia...Wow, what an amazing experience to have a class with Tim and 99 other crafters...amazing! Your heart and box are a true work of art. TFS all the photos and your story. Hugs...Nancy